I installed ubuntu and then vista, i found that my ubuntu grub was lost..
I followed these steps to “restore” the “grub boot loader” of ubuntu.
Here are the steps
1. Boot from the ubuntu Live CD.
2. Now open a terminal from Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal.
3. Now you need to start grub as root
$ sudo grub
Following was the output for me
[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For
the first word, TAB lists possible command
completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename. ]
5. Now find the disk location of your ubuntu installation
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
i got it as (hda0,2)
6. Now you will need to set the root device with the help of the above result.
grub> root (hd0,2)
7. Now setup the grub
grub> setup (hd0)
8. Exit grub