Did you fail to use “gtalk in ubuntu” …

Now you can chat and talk to your gmail buddies in ubuntu…

1. check for gtk2.0 and qt4

$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev libogg-dev libtheora-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libsdl-dev libavcodec-dev libswscale-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libexpat-dev libraw1394-dev libvorbis-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libgsm1-dev  libspeexdsp-dev libmediastreamer0-dev libortp-dev

2. Remove ‘pulse audio sound server’
Open synaptic package manager and remove pulse audio
3. “Download gtalx” from here

Dowload it here

4. Extract the file….

$ tar -zxvf 0.0.4.tar.gz
5. Get into the directory….

$ cd 0.0.4

and then…

$ sudo chmod u+x make
$ ./make

$ sudo ./make install

6. Enjoy…..

Please comment about your installation(whether it was a success or not….)

Take gtalx from Applications > Internet > gtalx
Enter your gmail login information..and click connect…

After successful login your online gmail buddies will be listed…
Click the “Contact” button to “chat or call” that person..

Upon clicking the contact button you will be shown a screen like this….
If you need to chat..type your message and click “send”…
If you want to talk..click ‘call”….

Enjoy….It worked successfully for me…

33 Responses to “gtalx: Howto Gtalk in ubuntu ( google talk )”

1. Sakkeer says:

gooooooood … its working

2. @Kaljoi Jodhdhalook for the download directory.When you untar the archive you will get the directory "0.0.4".cd into the current location.Which is your download directory?

3. Hi, I am a new user of linux and ubuntu also. I am using Ubuntu 9.10. I could follow the instructions upto Step 4. From Step 5 i can't proceed. I have downloaded the tar file. but the command "cd 0.0.4" is not working in terminal. Please someone help me to proceed…..

4. sonal says:

hii this is sonal i m not able to extract i m using ubuntu 9.10

5. ragava says:

hi…Its working successfully in my system…thanks to all…

6. I have put the link for the new released gtalx.This will fix the problems with make.

7. it is not working on my ubantu 9.10

8. PRASHANT says:

Thanx….Its working….

9. jinu says:

./make ends in error and says did not make

10. Jozsi says:

Hi

I have created 2 deb files for ubuntu 9.10. It is still not tested very well (only tested on kubuntu 9.10) but if you have any issues I’ll help you sort them out (meaning I’ll fix my bugs in the deb file :-))

Here is the homepage of gtalx:

Contact me at the email address that can be found in the Contact Us section on the homepage of gtalx.

Jozsi

11. SAMEER says:

thanx it worked,but gtalx doesnt allow send files as in gtalk

12. Murarka says:

I faced the make shown above as well…I am using Ubuntu 9.10….

13. රනා says:

Thanks a lot. This helps me lot.
    Keep it Up.

Ceyloerana from Sri Lanka

14. anant says:

linux 9.04 ,installation ok but connection is not formed .How to enable it using proxy authentication?

15. Destiny Of Thoughts says:

Thanks for the post and its working fine for in easy-peasy 9.04 O.S, I got one problem the person otherside is not able hear my voice but i’m unable to hear his voice clearly.. i doubt we have disabled pulse audio config.. is that causing the issue, i tried sound recorder and its working fine. Thanks in advance for the help.

16. techvivekparmar says:

now it becomese possible to use gtalk in ubuntu 9.04. You get more information on this from the url listed below:-

17. Dipin Krishna says:

On Debian/Ubuntu systems :

sudo apt-get install apt-file
    sudo apt-file update

then:

apt-file search speex_preprocess.h

will tell you that the file you are looking for is in the libspeexdsp-dev
    package.

now,
    sudo apt-get install libspeexdsp-dev

18. adi says:

msconf.c:27:36: error: speex/speex_preprocess.h: No such file or directory
    msconf.c:55: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘SpeexPreprocessState’
    msconf.c: In function ‘channel_init’:
    msconf.c:78: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:78: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘speex_preprocess_state_init’
    msconf.c:79: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:83: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘speex_preprocess_ctl’
    msconf.c:83: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:83: error: ‘SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_DENOISE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    msconf.c:83: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    msconf.c:83: error: for each function it appears in.)
    msconf.c:88: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:88: error: ‘SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_VAD’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    msconf.c:94: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:94: error: ‘SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_AGC’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    msconf.c:96: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:96: error: ‘SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_AGC_LEVEL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    msconf.c:105: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:107: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:110: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:110: error: ‘SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_DEREVERB’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    msconf.c:112: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:112: error: ‘SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_DEREVERB_DECAY’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    msconf.c:114: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:114: error: ‘SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_DEREVERB_LEVEL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    msconf.c: In function ‘channel_uninit’:
    msconf.c:122: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:123: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘speex_preprocess_state_destroy’
    msconf.c:123: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:124: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c: In function ‘conf_sum’:
    msconf.c:263: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:266: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘speex_preprocess’
    msconf.c:266: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:291: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    msconf.c:294: error: ‘Channel’ has no member named ‘speex_pp’
    make[3]: *** [msconf.lo] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/aditya/Desktop/Extras/temp/gtalx/mediastreamer2/src’
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/aditya/Desktop/Extras/temp/gtalx/mediastreamer2/src’
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/aditya/Desktop/Extras/temp/gtalx/mediastreamer2′
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    ~/Desktop/Extras/temp/gtalx
    make failed.

Following error occurs on make.Plz help.

19. Dipin Krishna says:

try this and then configure

$ sudo export CPPFLAGS=”-I/usr/include/ -I/usr/include/openssl/”

20. Rohit says:

while running ./make i am getting the following errors:
    ssladapter.cc:46:28: error: openssl/crypto.h: No such file or directory

21. Rohit says:

after running command ./make it is giving following errors to me:
    ssladapter.cc:46:28: error: openssl/crypto.h: No such file or directory

22. Kairam says:

Hey it worked fine for me. However how do I use the video?

23. MindBloter says:

Perfect installation…….thanks.

24. sudhakar reddy nagolu says:

thank u post me ur comment to my mail address nagolusudha@gmail.com

25. sudhakar reddy nagolu says:

i configure gtalk with our valuable instructions.i logged into application,i use well.its working.but i have small doubt what is that is how to logging out from the application

26. Anonymous says:

Hi.
    i can’t find the directory that your mention at step-5. please let me know how to do that

27. James says:

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try that out. But one small suggestion. Please ensure that your site does not play videos without getting the user’s approval. It is really annoying. That may drive vistors away from your site. I had to install adblock firefox extension to block the videos in your site from loading automatically. Also kindly remove the popups that are trying to open when your site is loaded. Again this may make vistors fly away. But I like your content. Keep up the good work.

28. drdeliciousone says:

Worked for me, but now I need to figure out how how actually voice chat through the client,

Thanks!

29. kianoosh says:

ther is no pluse-audio package in my synaptic package. what can i do? also i dont know what is directory. pls sent the answer to my own mail kianoosharya@gmail.com
    tnx alot

30. kianoosh says:

hi i cant find directory.can you help me?

31. Anonymous says:

Hi

I just wonder if instead of removing pulse-audio would not installing libasound2-plugins be a solution. If it is then this approach is much better I think 🙂

32. Dipin Krishna says:

Please mention you OS and version…..

33. kanna says:

installation is ok
    but after entering the mail id and password the window is idle and automatically closes and the program terminates