The two methods  below doesn’t work now. Please see http://blog.dipinkrishna.info/2009/11/how-to-download-and-install-skype-for_3060.html for a successfull installation of skype on ubuntu.

I have provided two methods. Please do comment which one is successful.

Follow these steps to install skype in ubuntu 9.10 (64 bit).

First add:
            deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free
        to your source.list

Now open a terminal and type:

$ sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Then do an update:

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get –yes -q –allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring
$ sudo apt-get -q update

And finally install Skype.

$ sudo apt-get install skype

Ready … now start skype with

$ skype

OR

Download the setup
32 -bit
64 -bit

Launch the Skype install .deb file (just double click it) and follow the on screen prompts.

(To start Skype  at system startup)
Go to “System -> Preferences -> Startup Application”, Click “Add” and enter the following details:

• Name: Skype
  • Command: skype

Click “Save”
Next time you start your system Skype will auto-launch.

Enjoy using Skype in ubuntu.

26 Responses to “How to install Skype on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala”

1. Anonymous says:

Method two worked fine for me. I logged in and it worked fine.

2. mikke says:

Thanks for your help Dipin.First method doesn't work but the second is OK.See you

3. thanks for this… not a great help but it works… aheheheheComment by: The Rookie Blogger

4. kyle_dent says:

Eric (a few posts up) it means that you are running with an intel chipset as opposed to an AMD. That download is for AMD processors only. Download http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_i386.debIts for I386 Intel chipset, which is what you need. Cheers,Kyle

5. Allen says:

Method two worked the first time for me. I’ve been struggling with this issue for weeks.

Thanks!

6. Robert says:

im new to ubuntu and the second method was fast easy and worked just fine

7. Cannae says:

Did the first one but sudo apt-get install skype failed to find skype.

Then used the second method with a Debian bouble click and it installed on my i386.

There was a missing dependency on second one until I did the first up to sudo apt-get install skype then the Debian double click worked perfect.

—Cannae

8. saltydog says:

No more skype on medibuntu repositories as of today!

9. NextGE says:

Thanks Guys,

I just tried second method, so far so good.

Keep up good work!!!!

10. eRiC says:

2nd method is just what I tried in the first place: goto skype download latest package, doubleclick: Fehler: Falsche Systemarchitektur »i386«
    Error: wrong system architechture »i386«

what does that mean?

And 1st method? I’m new to linux and ubuntu. But not afraid of code though. But what is my “source.list”?!?

11. A says:

Hi , the 2nd works fine @ first shoot.

(I did not try the first.)
    … even if we should work “Microsoft-different” and double click is always the same…

The easiest the better. x32.KK9.10
    Thank you for your help.

12. Deivis says:

First procedure worked for me. 9.10 x32

13. Winston says:

The first method worked for me

14. Reinaldo says:

A instalação funcionou perfeitamente, porém o áudio com pulseaudio não funcionou. A mensagem de erro é… “RtApiAlsa: underrun detected”

————-
    reinaldovale@gmail.com
    Fortaleza – CE – Brasil

15. Reinaldo says:

Comigo a instalação funcionou perfeitamente, porém o áudio com o pulseaudio não funcionou. A mensagem de erro é… “RtApiAlsa: underrun detected”

——-
    reinaldovale@gmail.com
    Fortaleza – Brasil

16. Patrick et Valérie! says:

#1 Worked like a charm, BUT:

First add: deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free to your source.list

FYI I am on Kubuntu 9.10, x64 flavor.

Cheers!

17. Joshua says:

Method 2 worked softly for me.
    Thanks a lot!

18. Maurício says:

BUT I need to install medibuntu first, by
    # sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    and add the line
    deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free
    to that archive, ant then update and install skype.

19. Maurício says:

Nothing worked here. The first method broke when I tried

#sudo apt-get –yes -q –allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring

and the second says, after the launch, wrong architeture ‘i386’.

Any one can help me?

20. Dipin Krishna says:

Try installing the skype version 2.0 and and select “HD Intel (hw:0)” option in skype’s autio properties.

If you have already installed Skype 2.1 from Medibuntu Repos, you will have to uninstall skype-common via synaptic, as well as skype, or else the Skype 2.0 package will not install via GDebi.

Get the verion 2.0 from here http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_i386.deb

21. Ramon says:

I installed Skype on Karmic, but it does not seem to detect any microphones. It detected my webcam and that is the microphone I use. Can anybody help please?

22. Miodrag says:

both of methods did not work for me.
    in both case system write me a message that I don’t have some packets:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    skype:
    Depends: ia32-libs (>= 1.6) but it is not going to be installed

Depends: lib32asound2 (> 1.0.14) but it is not going to be installed

Depends: lib32gcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-21+ia32.libs.1.19) but it is not going to be installed

Depends: lib32nss-mdns but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: lib32stdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-21) but it is not going to be installed

Depends: libc6-i386 (>= 2.3.2) but it is not going to be installed

E: Broken packages

23. Gerard says:

I used the 1st method just because I wanted it a lil bit harder and it worked fine with me!

24. Gabriela Motta says:

second for me too… but i haven’t tried the first one. thank you

25. we_wake says:

second procedure worked for me. the one downloading .deb package but not the commands in the terminal.
    Thanks.

26. Christopher says:

Method 2 worked for me first time for installation. Thank you. I cannot seem to get Skype to run at startup though, but that’s probably down to me.